Important memo on Parking lot Safety and Routines at Alexander Robinson Elementary
Traffic issues surrounding ARE Elementary have been a safety concern to all for the last few years, with the problem increasing as our population continues to grow. Our PAC, parents, and school neighbours have have expressed safety concerns over driver behaviour and the amount of traffic in and around the school, especially the rear parking lot, nearby streets, and most of all, the drive through lane at the front of the school, which is a designated no stopping/no parking zone. Although we have repeatedly asked drivers to be aware of the restrictions, we continue to see double parking, unattended vehicles, and severe congestion, especially at pick up time. These circumstances are a considerable risk to our students and there have been too many ‘near misses’ as children weave through double-parked or unattended cars to get to their ride. These conditions aggravate drivers and pedestrians which has led to discourtesy, conflict, and unsafe road conditions.
Safety is everyone’s responsibility and we need to ensure that we all do our part.
Common Traffic Problems at our Schools Include:
- Parking, stopping illegally, leaving vehicles unattended, blocking spaces intended for parents of children with disabilities
- Unsafe turns and U-turns
- Not stopping for children at crosswalks
- Arriving very close to bell times causing traffic congestion
Other Safety Problems:
- Children darting across the driveway or street through parked/waiting cars unaccompanied by an adult
- Crossing in between vehicles or mid-block instead of at the marked crosswalk
- Letting children out of the car on the driver side (traffic side) of the vehicle
- Double parking / reversing a vehicle out of the parking lot onto street
School Parking Lot Rules:
The rear parking lot, off 118th, has designated STAFF PARKING stalls. These spaces are reserved at ALL times for ARE staff members. The rear lot also has clearly marked handicap parking stalls. Even if you have a tag, use these spaces only if the student requiring the permit is being picked up/dropped off. We have many children who need these spaces.
AS OF NOVEMBER 1st, 2017, the FRONT driveway will be closed to thru traffic at drop off and pick up time. This decision has been taken in consultation in consultation with the School District’s Manager Health, Safety & Wellness and the City of Maple Ridge.
The only vehicles allowed through at these times will be those displaying valid handicap permits.
City of Maple Ridge, Highway and Traffic Bylaw No. 6704-2009:
The City of Maple Ridge bylaw states in part; that no vehicle shall block a driveway or park within 3 meters of a driveway. Please be considerate of the neighbours. They need to be able to come and go safely too. Note: The by-laws department will be issuing fines to anyone who is in violation of these by-laws;
Highway and Traffic Bylaw 12.1 –
(b) Driveway – in front of or within 3 metres of a public or private driveway;
(c) Intersection – in or within 6 metres of the approach or far side of an intersection, except as permitted by a sign
(d) Hydrant – within 5m of a fire hydrant measured from a point in the curb or edge of the roadway which is closest to the fire hydrant to the nearest wheel of the vehicle
(e) Crosswalk – on a crosswalk or within 6 metres of the approach side of a crosswalk
Suggestion to help keep the area safer:
- Consider parking away from the school and walking your child to school.
- 118th provides excellent walking access to the school via wide sidewalks.
- Ensure all pedestrians use the designated crosswalk.
- Do not block the crosswalk with your vehicle.
- Do not let children out on the driver’s (traffic) side of the vehicle.